Wednesday, August 4, 2010

MMA Rankings by Weightclass (August 2010)


While the main purpose of this blog is to explore business concepts as they relate to the MMA Industry, I'm still a hugely opinionated MMA fan who rarely agrees with published rankings.  One format that I do respect, is the US Today Consensus rankings.  Here is a quote from Bloodyelbow.com which further explains the Consensus methodology: 
"We collect and average the rankings of the top MMA websites to produce our consensus rankings. We compile the top MMA rankings from each of our sources and award 25 points for a first place ranking, 16 for a 10th place ranking, 1 for a 25th place ranking. A formula is used to “normalize” the data so all fighters are awarded points from those lists that do not include a full 25 fighters. This formula ensures that each ranking site awards the same number of total points regardless of how many fighters they choose to rank. Each fighter’s total is divided by the number of possible points to determine their standing in the Consensus Rankings."
I really like this method because it pulls from reputable sources and does a great job of smoothing out the results without too much reliance on any one person's opinion. Therefore, I've decided to use these rankings as a starting point each month with a few adjustments based on head-to-head match-ups, record against the top 25, and a little bit of common sense.  My stance regarding rankings is that, rather than awarding points for past achievements, they should capture a moment in time in which every fighter ranked above another would be favored to win in a match taking place on that very day.

I will update these rankings at least once per month and will always welcome a healthy debate.  Complete rankings by weight class after the jump.

The MBAer's MMA Rankings
Fedor getting caught by Werdum does not affect my opinion of either of them as much as it seems to for some.  Also, Carwin's performance in a loss to the best heavyweight in the world does more to improve my opinion of his skills, which is why I have him sitting in the 3rd position.  I could see an argument for Cain in the 3rd spot as well.  We'll see just how good he is soon enough when he takes on Brock in October.
As much as I love watching Rampage, his refusal to evolve into a more well-rounded competitor has me worried.  I tend to think he would have finished Rashad if not for the ring rust, so here's to hoping for an improved Rampage against Loyoto Machida.  Jon Jones looks awesome.  I'd love to see him take on Forrest Griffin next. 
Okami has looked much improved since training with Sonnen.  He's got a great chin and would make an interesting challenger for Anderson Silva, if he makes it past Chael this Saturday.  Would be interesting to see Jake Shields fight some of the top guys at 185 some day soon as well.  But, I agree that his best weight is at 170.
GSP is about to lap the field.  I hope Jake Shields shows his stuff in a tough match up with Kampman.  At least it would be a new challenge for GSP and an interesting style match that would likely lead to a stand up war.  I'm a big Dong Hyun Kim fan (notice him in the 25th spot) so I keep holding out hope that he'll get healthy and make a run someday. 
Everyone else seems to have Frankie Edgar in first, but am I the only one who had Penn winning that fight in Abu Dabi? Watch out for Evan Dunham.  Sherk should be the perfect test.
I'd like to see Aldo move up to Lightweight if he gets by Manny.  If Penn gets by Edgar, it could set the stage for an awesome cross-over match.
I still see Bowles as a huge threat to regain the title once he heals up.  I really like Damacio Page too. He's another guy who needs to stay healthy so that we can see just how good he really is.


No comments:

Post a Comment